Specially Adapted Housing for Veterans and Servicemembers
How to Get Started Building an Accessible Home
The Department of Veteran Affairs offers housing grants to qualified veterans.
Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grants are available for veterans or servicemembers who meet qualification standards.
Specially Adapted Housing for Veterans
A Specially Adapted Housing benefit can be used for qualified veterans or servicemembers who require a home designed specifically to meet their needs.
- It must be medically feasible for the veteran or servicemember to reside in the home.
- The home must be adapted to the veteran or servicemember's needs.
Quick Facts About Specially Adapted Housing
Check with your local VA representative for the most up-to-date information. VA Pamphlet 26-69-1 details Specially Adapted Housing for disabled veterans and servicemembers, including:
- There is no time limit to apply for a Specially Adapted Housing Grant.
- As of January 2010, the maximum grant is $63,780. The grant amount is adjusted annually.
- A veteran or servicemember can use a Specially Adapted Housing Grant up to three times.
- A veteran or servicemember can elect to construct a home on newly acquired or already owned land or lot and can use the services of a builder or real estate agent to build the home or find a location to build.
Stanton Homes and Specially Adapted Housing
Stanton Homes provides custom alterations and designs that adhere to rigid federal regulations.
Many specific adaptions may be required in a home to meet Specially Adapted Housing standards.
Builders must follow exacting processes including additional inspections throughout the process, and submission of substantial documentation proving that the home will meet all requirements.
Stanton Homes is a top choice for fully accessible homebuyers who rely on our industry-leading expertise for beautifully
designed and engineered Specially Adapted Housing.
- Approved VA builder
- Design/build services for all your special needs – with in-house design work included at no extra cost to our homebuyers, as part of your custom home package.
- Support in navigating the Specially Adapted Housing Grant process.
- The "Stanton Homes® for Heroes" custom home discount partnerships for qualified veterans and service members.
For more information on barrier-free living through the SAH Grant Program,
or your VA regional office in central North Carolina.
View Accessible Homes by Stanton Homes: